You can’t watch the Kentucky Derby without a Mint Julep, right? It may be easier than you think to make. But if that’s not your thing, you could try some other cocktails too!
Here are 3 drinks you can make to impress your Derby watch party.
🐴 Classic Mint Julip
- 8 mint leaves
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Garnish: mint sprig
- Garnish: Angostura bitters (optional)
- In a julep cup or rocks glass, lightly muddle the mint leaves in the simple syrup.
- Add the bourbon then pack the glass tightly with crushed ice.
- Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside
- Top with more crushed ice to form an ice dome, and garnish with a mint sprig and a few drops of bitters (optional)
🐴 Brown Derby
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup
- Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Add the bourbon, grapefruit juice and honey syrup into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
- Fine-strain into a cocktail glass
- Express the oil from a grapefruit twist over the drink and drop the twist into the drink to garnish
🐴 Horse’s Neck
- 2 ounces bourbon, brandy or American rye whiskey
- Top off with ginger ale
- Garnish: lemon peel
- Add the whiskey into a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with ginger ale
- Garnish with a long strip of lemon peel
Join in our daily conversation on Facebook!