You can mix up your Easter meal by cooking with farro. It’s a type of grain with a nutty flavor and ancient roots. Chef Renate Moore shared her recipe for Farro Vegetable Casserole. If you try it out, let us know!
Farro Vegetable Casserole
- 3 large shallots, diced medium
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups pearled Farro, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup combined red and yellow cherry tomatoes, rinsed drained and halved
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk or light cream
- ½ cup grated or shaved Asiago, Parmesan and Romano Cheese Blend
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 ounces (about 12 medium spears) fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Oilve oil cooking spray
- Fresh whole basil leaves, for garnish
In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the Farro and stir to combine. Add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded carrots, tomatoes and ¼ cup basil. Cover with a lid and let rest for 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray a 2-quart baking dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk or cream and cheese. Add to the cooked Farro and vegetables and stir to combine. Pour mixture into the greased baked dish and spread into a thin layer.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Sprinkle over the Farro mixture. Layer the asparagus spears in a criss-cross pattern over the top. Lightly spray the asparagus and crumb topping with olive oil cooking spray.
Place in oven and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh whole basil leaves and serve.