It's National Coconut Day!
The Coconut Coalition of the Americans started the holiday last year to raise awareness of its health benefits. But what we are about to learn to make is a SWEETER way to enjoy coconuts. Pastry Chef Maria Kemp of Beyond Decadence, Inc. joined us on QC@3 with her no-bake coconut cream cups! We’ve posted the recipe below!
No-Bake Coconut Cream Cups:
Ingredients for crust:
- 10 full sheets graham crackers = 1 1/2 cup crumbs
- 1/3 c. shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 T. light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 T. butter, melted
- 1 c. heavy cream 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 2 t. coconut extract or ﬂavoring
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. shredded sweetened coconut
To make crust cups:
- Using a food processor, pulse graham crackers and coconut until a uniform crumb mixture forms.
- Add brown sugar, salt, and butter. Pulse until combined.
- Line a cupcake/mufﬁn pan with paper cupcake liners. Divide graham crumbs evenly into each cavity. (Press approximately 2 -3 T. into each cavity and up the sides.)
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before ﬁlling.
To make filling:
- Beat the heavy cream to medium peaks with an electric mixer. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy with an electric mixer. Add milk and ﬂavorings and mix until smooth.
- Gently fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture in 2 additions.
- Spoon mixture into each cavity over the graham cracker crumb crust. Top with shredded coconut.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Will keep in the fridge for several days.
NOTES: Toast coconut before using on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave the coconut in 30second bursts, until it shows signs of starting to brown.