We’re talking summer recipes!
Flashback to the coolest potluck dish of the 70s, Chef Jill Aker-Ray used to seek it out at church functions or parties. The ability to make this salad ahead of time with the dressing on top and all other veggies staying crisp and fresh is so convenient, making it the perfect choice to tote along to parties!
- 1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup sliced celery (2-3 stalks)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 12 oz frozen peas, rinsed and thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP sugar ( optional)
- 1 packet ranch dressing ( optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (or 3 oz bag real bacon pieces)
- Rinse and prepare/chop vegetables. Set aside.
- Rinse frozen peas in colander and leave there until layering salad.
- Fry bacon and set aside, or use bagged
- Mix mayonnaise, sugar and ranch dressing packet. Set aside.
- In 9 x 13 dish, layer evenly-lettuce, red onion, celery, red pepper and peas.
- Carefully spread mayonnaise dressing mixture over peas.
- Sprinkle cheese and bacon over top and cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Chill for up to 24 hours before serving.